You Can Have Your Vision Corrected While You Sleep
What is Orthokeratology or Ortho-K?
Wouldn’t it be great if your vision could be corrected while you sleep? With our Ortho-K program, custom made, highly breathable contact lenses gently reshape the front surface of your eye (the cornea) during sleep to correct the vision. In the morning, the lenses are removed and you can enjoy clear vision all day long without glasses or contacts. Retainer lenses, like for dental braces, are worn nightly to maintain the results.
What are the benefits of Ortho-K?
- Ortho-K has been clinically proven to also drastically slow down the yearly progression of nearsightedness.
- Patients have clear vision during the day without eyeglasses or contact lenses.
- Ortho-K is non invasive and completely reversible.
Who is Ortho-K a great option for?
- Children who experience increases in their nearsighted prescription every year.
- Anyone who plays sports.
- Contact lens wearers who find their eyes uncomfortable or dry during the day.
- Anyone who wants freedom from glasses or daytime contacts.
- Those who are not good candidates for laser eye surgery or who just don’t like the idea of having elective surgery on their eyes.
Is the Ortho-K program safe?
- Ortho-K has been in practice since the 1950’s (and the technology has been improving dramatically in the last 20 years).
- The risks with Ortho-K are generally the same as those of regular contact lens wear.
- Ortho-K has been approved by the FDA and Health Canada.
- Doctor supervised Ortho-K has proven to be very safe and effective.
- Ortho-K is reversible.
Children and Ortho-K
- Many of our Ortho-K patients are children, even as young as 6 years old!
- Worldwide, many children have undertaken an Ortho-K program to reduce the progression of their nearsightedness.
- Children can be treated with our Ortho-K program as long as the parent feels that the child is responsible enough to insert, remove, and maintain the Ortho-K lenses.
Reasons to do Ortho-K with us
- Experience. We have been fitting Ortho-K lenses for over 20 years.
- Time. We have many Ortho-K patients and understand the extra time and care that is required from us.
- Technology. For Ortho-K to be fit properly, a corneal topographer is needed to initially measure and also to monitor. We have 2 topographers in the office to ensure the best accuracy.
- Safety. This is our number one priority with our patients. If our Ortho-K patients request to see the Doctor, they are given extra priority for appointments, even if we are fully booked.
- Follow up exams. Our Ortho-K program includes regular eye health visits that are all included in the program fee.
- Speed. Many patients have clear vision within 1-3 days.
- Special Ortho-K lenses. All Ortho-K lenses are not the same. The technology has changed dramatically over the years. Different patients need different types of lenses. We have a variety of suppliers and we can make microscopic changes to the lenses to best optimize the Ortho-K lenses for each patient.
- High Prescriptions. We are able to perform Ortho-K on “difficult” prescriptions such as high amounts of nearsightedness or patients who need reading glasses.
- Help. We have an in office Ortho-K liaison. We have someone to help and guide you with any issues you may encounter along the way.
Book a free consult?
- We have done many, many cases and we understand that this is a big decision.
- We understand that this is a long term relationship and we want you to feel welcome and comfortable in our office.
- Come visit us and see us in person!
- A complementary screening and consultation is available to see if you are a good candidate for our Ortho-K program.
- Please call 905 948-0050 and ask for Christina for more information.